Remembering Old Downtown
ABILENE, KANSAS: PAST AND PRESENT, PROGRESS AND PROSPERITY (1910)
Abilene is a beautiful resident and business city, the county seat of Dickinson, has a population of 5,300 and is 163 miles west of Kansas City.
"Abilene has fourteen churches, four large school buildings business college, Mount St. Joseph's Academy, (girls school), automobile school, famous Sand Springs water, the purest west of the Mississippi; $200,000 water works, $50,000 sewer system both owned by the city; 24-hour electric light service, fine cement walks, all streets in the business section finely paved, Brown and Bell telephone system, three railways, paid fire department, free mail delivery in the city, eight rural routes, a $15,000 public library, two daily and four weekly papers, two large flouring mills, the Great Parker factories and carnival companies, the big Seelye Medical Company, a fine theatre, large ice and cold storage plants, large creamery, two [grain] elevators, four banks, five hotels, steam laundry, AbilenA, the famous cathartic water; three wholesale egg and produce houses, large wholesale grocery, new 3-story Masonic temple, and several other brick blocks under construction, and over sixty other business institutions representing all lines of business."
Courtesy of Dickinson County Heritage Center